Ten Things Nonprofits Can Do to Get the Count Out
The 2020 Census deadline has been extended to October 31.
The COVID-19 pandemic, shifts in census operations, and existing barriers have meant that many marginalized communities still have yet to be counted. These communities are already historically undercounted, and there is so much at risk if they are missed, including funding for health, education, roads, and other services.
- 75% of predominantly Black census tracts have rates lower than in 2010,
- 74% of predominantly Hispanic census tracts have rates lower than in 2010,
- 58% of predominantly Asian census tracts have rates lower than in 2010, and
- 54% of census tracts that are predominantly non-Hispanic White have lower rates than in 2010.
Here are some simple actions you can take to get out the count and encourage your constituents to participate in the final month of the 2020 Census:
- Challenge everyone on your staff to text or call 10 clients, friends or family members to make sure they’ve completed the census.
- Reach out to reporters about the end of the census so they can share what’s at stake with their audiences.
- Post about the census on social media! Graphics can be found here.
- Hang up census posters in your building, elevator or in your window!
- Put a census message in your email signature that links to my2020census.gov.
- Add a census banner to your organization’s website leading to my2020census.gov.
- Send an email encouraging your supporters to fill out the census!
- Engage your network! Think through who is in your network and how they can motivate others to complete the census.
- Does your professional association have a listserv you can post on?
- Are you involved in a faith group (mosque, church, synagogue, etc.)? Can they speak about the census?
- Do any of your schools have alumni associations? Can they share a
video about the census?
- Do you belong to any other civic engagement groups or volunteer
groups? Can you speak at an upcoming meeting or ask them to share an email?
- Can you encourage your LinkedIn connections to complete the census? Can they share your posts regarding the census?
- Encourage other organizations within your community to get the word out!
- Have a tie in a business? Ask if they can hang up a poster near the checkout stand!
If you have not done so, you can complete the census at my2020census.gov.