Spirit of St. Louis Women’s Fund Awards $230,000 to 11 Local Nonprofits
“We pool our resources, invest as a group and award grants to smaller St. Louis-area nonprofits. By investing collectively, we achieve greater impact.” That’s the core philosophy of the Spirit of St. Louis Women’s Fund (SOS).
Powered by a diverse group of women from nearly every corner of the St. Louis region, SOS, a component fund of the St. Louis Community Foundation, has been a quiet but mighty force for change since 2006, delivering over $3.3 million in focused and informed grants to almost 100 small nonprofits throughout the community.
On May 17, 2023, Spirit of St. Louis Women’s Fund’s annual Spirit Awards awarded $230,000 to 11 nonprofits, four of which received funding from SOS for the first time this year. Grant recipients, pictured above, were:
- Life for Life Gym – $33,333 ($100,000 paid in three installments of $33,333, beginning in 2023).
- Room at the Inn ($25,000)
- Welcome Neighbor STL ($25,000)
- City Greens Market ($25,000)
- The Kerengende Foundation ($25,000)
- Girls in the Know ($25,000)
- St. Louis Health Equipment Lending Program, Inc. (HELP) ($10,000)
- Urban Harvest STL ($25,000)
- Books for Newborns ($10,000)
- Missouri Energycare ($15,000)
- MindsEye ($12,000)
Missouri Energycare’s funding will pay for a new van, a vital part of their program to deliver air conditioners. The Kerengende Foundation will use their grant to create safe spaces and culturally responsive services for victims of sexual abuse and human trafficking.
“These nonprofits are out there, showing us how meaningful, long-lasting change starts in our neighborhoods,” said Katy Dowd, SOS President. “This is why part of SOS’ mission is to focus their investments on small nonprofits – the grassroots organizations and hands-on missions that make the greatest social impact.”
To learn more about SOS and the difference these women are making in the community, visit www.spiritstlwomensfund.org.
Click here to view event photography by Katherine Bish Photography.