Get Involved on #GivingTuesday
Since the beginning of March, the COVID-19 pandemic has upended daily routines and impacted communities across the world in unprecedented ways. No individual, family, business or organization has been left untouched by the effects of the pandemic, including the nonprofit sector.
#GivingTuesday has grown into an important part of the year-end push for many organizations across the globe. #GivingTuesday is a 24-hour period of giving meant to catalyze generosity and help transform communities nationwide. It was created in 2012 when two organizations, the 92ndStreet YMCA in New York and the United Nations Foundation, intended to allocate one day per year to celebrate giving. Since then, the movement has grown immensely, raising more than $1 billion online for organizations in America alone.
Here at the St. Louis Community Foundation, we believe in inspiring charitable giving and philanthropy and #GivingTuesday does just that. #GivingTuesday 2020 will be held on December 1 and now, more than ever, nonprofits need funding and support to meet an increase in demand for educational, food, healthcare, housing, and other needs.
Below are ways you can support nonprofits and get involved on #GivingTuesday (from givingtuesday.org):
- Give time by volunteering for nonprofit
- Give voice by advocating for causes and issues you care about
- Give dollars by donating to a nonprofit in honor of #GivingTuesday
- Give goods by organizing a donation drive for a nonprofit
- Give kindness by complimenting a stranger, buying someone’s lunch or calling a friend
- Give talent by giving your skills to help a nonprofit with marketing, HR or technology
- Give together by bringing #GivingTuesday to your community
- Share why you give by posting on social media and encouraging others to do the same.
There are so many ways you can help spread kindness on #GivingTuesday. Use the tools here for ideas on how to get involved and make a difference
For nonprofits interested in participating in #GivingTuesday, here are a few tips to help you get started:
- Register your nonprofit for #GivingTuesday here
- Take advantage of #GivingTuesday resources and the #GivingTuesday toolkit from givingtuesday.org
- Use the #GivingTuesday hashtag to spread awareness on social media
- Read “7 tips to launching your Giving Tuesday campaign in our COVID-19 world”
Learn more about how you can participate in #GivingTuesday 2020 at givingtuesday.org.