Open Position: Communications Associate
The St. Louis Community Foundation is dedicated to inspiring purposeful philanthropy that connects community and donors to build and preserve a more equitable and vibrant region, now and forever. One of the nation’s first community foundations, the St. Louis Community Foundation was founded in 1915 as a 501(c )3 public charity, and today is composed of more than 700 funds with assets close to $500 million. Each fund represents a unique philanthropic purpose, the majority in partnership with an individual, family, or business. In 2018 the St. Louis Community Foundation distributed $90 million in grantmaking to more than 2,000 nonprofit organizations.
As the St. Louis Community Foundation grows, the Marketing and Communications department is seeking a dynamic and creative self-starter to assist with the creation and implementation of marketing and communications strategies that further the mission of the Foundation, along with the Foundation’s annual community-wide event, Give STL Day – a 24-hour, online day-of-giving event, designed to benefit our community’s nonprofits.
The Communications Associate is an integral part of the marketing and communications team who will coordinate and manage the Foundation’s events and meetings, promote the Foundation’s brand, interact with the public, and establish productive relationships with nonprofits, professional advisors, and key stakeholders.
This position is an excellent opportunity to experience various aspects of communications and marketing while learning about the St. Louis philanthropic landscape.
This position reports to the Marketing & Communications Manager.
This position’s primary responsibility is to be a member of the Marketing & Communications team providing support to the Marketing and Communications Manager with the following tasks:
- Assist with on-going project development and completion, meeting the deadlines of communications projects.
- Assist with the development, execution, and maintenance of a comprehensive media relations, marketing and communications plan.
- Assist and maintain relationships with external and internal vendors – e.g., advertising firms, graphic designers, photographers, and videographers.
- Assist in the successful implementation of donor and community events including Give STL Day, a community-wide, 24-hour, online day-of-giving event, designed to benefit our community’s nonprofits.
- Create, curate, and manage a robust digital strategy for digital media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, video, etc.) and the website.
- Engage and communicate with community partners and nonprofits to build and sustain strong relationships.
- Interview; create and edit stories, blog posts, web copy, social media, press releases, e-newsletters, scripts, talking points, and presentation materials.
- Design flyers, graphics, e-vites, and other marketing materials.
- Collaborate with staff on new ideas, directions, and venues for marketing and communications.
- When beneficial to the Foundation, participate in broader activities related to philanthropy.
- Support the Foundation’s key initiatives, fiscal sponsorships and programs with communication needs.
- Engage in professional development activities, as appropriate.
- A bachelor’s degree is required. Ideal candidate will have a degree in public relations, marketing, communications, journalism, digital marketing, and/or social marketing studies.
- Firm grasp and understanding of available tools and platforms in the social media space.
- Previous internship or related experience in marketing or communications is a plus, but not required.
- Experience with website/database management and Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator) preferred. Knowledge of HTML and graphic design a plus.
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- An effective communicator, both written and oral.
- Must be self-motivated and detail-oriented, with good organizational skills and the ability to prioritize, multi-task, and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Ability to perform some light lifting.
Applicants may be required to perform duties outside their normal responsibilities listed.
Compensation and Benefits
The salary range is $38,000 – $42,000 and will be negotiated based on experience, qualifications, and record of achievement. Candidate salary history will not be requested nor referenced in negotiating salary. Health, dental, and additional benefits are available.
37.5-hour work week. Office hours are 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM. The Foundation offers flexible time options for its full-time employees in good standing, after 3 months of satisfactory employment.
How to Apply
Submit in confidence a cover letter, resume, and 2 professional writing samples and any graphic design samples (if applicable) via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Communications Associate – (your name)” in the subject line.
The St. Louis Community Foundation prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and affords equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic or class protected by law.